Sunday, August 15, 2010

How Could I Punish Her?

Bandit’s post got a better response than mine have. Maybe she needs to start her own blog, or maybe she’ll be willing to be a guest author for me.


Today is Sunday. I usually write my blogs on Friday, but I have two weeks vacation from Ulpan so I have a bit of spare time.

This morning, Irma and I went to the new supermarket that opened about four miles away. It was a magnificent day with a beautiful cloudless blue sky. Since the local bus service isn’t so great, we hitchhiked (a common occurrence in Israel). We got there about 10 minutes after we left the house.

Across the road from the supermarket is the Gush Etzion Winery (Gush Etzion is the name of our region). We heard that they had a good restaurant and Irma needed yeast for making wine, so we went there first. We each had a delicious warm mushroom and cheese sandwich on baguette with a salad. Irma got a small amount of yeast and then we went to the supermarket.

We quickly found the herring that we came for, plus a couple bottles of local Israeli wine (about $4.25 each). Before we left, we ran into a neighbor (I’m making the herring for his daughter’s wedding later in the week). He offered us a ride home, so we waited for him to do his shopping.

All in all, a nice morning. My first visit to the new store, and we got rides both ways. It was a nice little morning adventure in Israel without a car and without speaking Hebrew yet.

By the way, Bandit and I had a little talk. We’re negotiating her fee for doing some writing for me. I had to explain to her that even we don’t eat steak, and besides, there’s no money coming from this blog. She said she’d sleep on it.

Shalom, Y’all

No comments:

Post a Comment